Wednesday 8 June 2011

down the drain

So, I've finished with my Paediatrics examination = freedom!!:) However, let me share with you what I've been through all those days and months in this particular department.

First of all, I always thought that things will get better whenever Friday shows up. As usual, I love Friday. Friday means a happy face for me. But just so you know, here in this department, Friday doesn't mean anything. It's just another boring day just like Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday and so on and so forth.

And on my fourth week, I needed to stay in this hospital below which located outside of Makassar. Did I mentioned I need to glue my butt in this hospital for one whole week? Yes, that's the main point.
Well at least they provide us with a (not so) decent bed. Right?! (Both Anis and I had a chronic back pain since our first night sleeping in it)
This is Anis' stuffs. Yes, pink is her lover. She even carried her toothbrush every where even when she needed to follow up her patients. Haha. Just kidding.
Vandalism. Enough said. But ma, you don't have to worry because neither of us engraved our names on any of the furnitures in the hospital. We do still have our sanity intact.
So during weekdays (when the polyclinic is open) one of us needed to sit on that long bench and do the usual stuff (blood pressure, pulse rate, breathing rate, temperature and a wee bit of history taking). Same old boring stuff.
Whenever there's a baby delivered by storks (I mean seriously?), the nurses will alert both of us and therefore we need to walk to the other side of the hospital to evaluate the tiny creature with what they called Apgar score.

Sometimes, I thought how lame my life was. If you're trying to peek through my phone there'll only be medical pictures and tables like this one above. Sorry to break your heart but you can't get anything more than that. Oh, except for this one above. This was the very first day of my Perinatology subdivision (8 days and 7 nights in the NICU) where I got to be the class leader for the whole week. I kept this picture to see the difference before and after I finished with peri. I'm supposed to put up the 'after' picture but sadly, it was extremely hideous. Trust me. Hmm. I still miss my own me.
Here's my poor baby. I almost (almost but not yet) cried because the parent's were so poor that they can't even provide clothes and blanket for the baby. I needed to steal some of the other baby's formula milk to feed him. He's sick but because the father can't afford to pay any more so he was brought home after only 4 days in the NICU. I have no idea what will happen to him. I'm just hoping that he'll be fine.

In the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) each of us needed to take care of one babies. However, since I was the God-knows-how-I-can't-be-a-leader leader plus because nobody listen to whatever I said, I needed to take care of 2 babies at the same time. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating about how hard to take care of 2 babies at the same time. Fine. But it is tough! I had no idea how much patience should I gain before being able to raise my own baby. But it's still a very long way to go. Let's just skip that part.

Anyway, I'm done with it! Bye Bye Paediatrics Department. :)

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaa tak aciiii kau habis duluuuu. Eeeee. Btw new layout eh? Comelll

    ReplyDelete